X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risk Management

Is Risk Management your friend? I mean, do you have to be particularly careful speaking with them (assuming the MD did nothing wrong)? Patient had an adverse event despite standard of care- I was thinking of meeting with risk management to discuss next steps (if any). Should I approach them? Anything to look out for discuss?

I don't know if I would approach them initially....

Comment

In my few interactions with risk management I've always felt that their loyalty was with my employer, not me. Which makes sense given where their salary comes from.

If you have a good rapport with patient and there have been no overtones suggesting possible legal or other action I would not approach them.

Comment

In any meeting, what is the objective and how would the meeting advocate for your position?
        It is in your best interest to remain silent unless you are improving your position. If there is something they need to do, be specific in your request.

Comment

I would not discuss any details of case on an internet forum - may be HIPAA issues and certainly could be discoverable. Would discuss with other colleagues in your group/hospital to get sense of their comfort with risk management in your hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by GasMomDoc
            Would me staying silent come back and bite me in the event this ever becomes a malpractice case?

No. If anything, going to risk management initially could lead some prosecuting attorneys to use that against you. "Doctor, you knew you did something bad because you approached risk management first, didn't you?"

Am I not required to mention it to risk management or my malpractice insurance??

You can certainly mention a bad outcome to risk management but I don't think a formal meeting is necessary. There's no reason to mention it to your malpractice carrier at this point.

Patient is now with paraplegia but it’s a very atypical/rare event and consulting services have suggested conversion disorder (but have not documented this anywhere). What is required of me by law at this point?
            Nothing is required of you by law at this time. Unfortunately, bad outcomes happen. If standard of care was met I wouldn't try to sweat it but I know these things can be difficult to deal with.

Comment

I would not approach risk management. You will hear from them if there is an issue. I lost a patient to suicide and never heard from them but heard from other folks in the clinic and was able to talk it through with them, as well as figure out how to approach the family in that situation. I found it really helpful. Hopefully you have colleagues you can talk it over with?

Comment

I am in the beginnings of a feared suit by a patient. I honestly & legitimately do not think I played a role in a negative outcome. But I after a records request & prior words of financial hardship by a contact of a patient, it's been rolling in my head. I contacted my malpractice carrier on this case how to handle a technicality, so they are aware. I don't mind. Prior record requests, I haven't mentioned it to anyone. This one I have more worry so I made a phone call.

Comment

This podcast from the Hippocratic Hustle has some very helpful guidance from a physician who went through a malpractice lawsuit herself and now coaches other physicians through the process: https://hippocratichustle.com/stacia...l-malpractice/. I’ve bookmarked it to go back to if/when I have a bad patient outcome.

Comment

Contact your malpractice carrier. They should provide you an attorney to talk to. The hospital risk manager is managing the hospitals risk and not yours. The hospital has a different interest from you. Hopefully the situation resolves without a suit. Limit conversations about this to random people.

Comment

Working...
                    X