Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you practice if you had a $25 million windfall?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EntrepreneurMD View Post
    For those that answered "no":

If it's not your passion, why are you practicing medicine instead of doing something else? Sad.
    Because age 57 is getting late for a career change, and because I need to be in a position to help my father out financially should my mother's worsening dementia require her to go into a memory care unit. He can't afford the cost of that, but on my salary I can.

Comment

I find meaning and purpose in the work I do currently, but 25 million would open up a whole bunch of doors marked “meaning and purpose”. I would take at least half and devote it to a charitable foundation and enjoy running that. There would be a whole bunch of kids who would otherwise be deprived of the joys of crafting learning how to knit, as well as other random fun pursuits that I think would make the world a kinder place.

Comment

What kind of judgy false dichotomy is being presented here? Being willing to walk away after a $25MM windfall is not mutually exclusive to being a physician who enjoys their profession and taking good care of patients.

Comment

Prior to being sued, I would have said I'd keep working. I love my work and find significant meaning and purpose in it. But knowing I can be sued has added another layer of stress that I never knew was there and I can't un-know it. So if I could volunteer somewhere giving free care in return for having no liability, I would do that.

Comment

2.5 million and I’d keep working even though I’d probably be FI. 25MM would be hard to stomach parts of my job. I’m young. I’d probably take a year off to think about it. I’d probably come back to work, but not work any more nights or holidays. I really like my job right now, but would probably want to cut back about 25-50% - I’m probably 1.25FTE or a little more. Still feel like I have a very good work-life balance after rough training - plus, we’re trying to save for a house and I’m trying to get my research funded.

Comment

No, I’d stop. But not because I don’t enjoy my work, and find meaning and purpose in it. Rather, it’s because I have a million other things I would also like to do that offer meaning and purpose separate from practicing medicine. Right now I have a great deal of trouble balancing all those interests, and the money would mean I could pursue my interests without regard to earning money.
              BTW, if I were Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos I would also stop and turn over the reins to someone else. I realize these people have their life’s blood invested in these enterprises, but I am a generalist. There are a million things worth doing, and I value balance over intense narrow focus. I am excited to relinquish this profession I love.
              My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

25M - would quit current job and move home asap. I find a lot of personal fulfillment from my career, so instead of a traditional job I'd transition to international mission trips. Probably 1 in the Spring and 1 in the Fall, and otherwise some non-paid resident teaching at my old institution. I miss working with the residents and helping them grow into thoughtful, competent, and skilled ophthals. That would scratch the medicine itch for me.

Comment

I would love to teach. I would most likely look for a low-stress way to teach and give back to the next generation. Either through local medical school or residency. Or since I have more money than I know what to do with teach chemistry at the local high school. I would also consider running for a minor public office.

But no I would not continue my current job. I do like my current job but I would not do it for free. And that to me is asking the same question.

Comment

I'd continue to do it. I'd consider going .6 and seeing if I can do some part time training at a regional ER to bolster clinical skills to do some medicine abroad (radiology still has limited ability to go to developing country and practicing radiology as we see it in the US). Heck, even if I was relegated to triage, procedures, and ultrasounds I would be happy.

Comment

I'd speak with a lawyer to see just how at risk I was

But I would probably continue in a part time capacity as I do enjoy what I do

Comment

If anonymous windfall... I would continue working for 10 times that. I enjoy my job but I work really hard currently. I would work 3-4 half days a week, not take call, take more vacation, and cut out certain cases I don't like doing, which would still easily pay my overhead. I’d stay busy enough to prevent boredom and have enough time to do whatever I wanted.

I’m not sure I have the creativity to come up with some alternative altruistic foundation or organization on which I could spend my time but I guess if I did I would consider quitting the practice of medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post
                          Prior to being sued, I would have said I'd keep working. I love my work and find significant meaning and purpose in it. But knowing I can be sued has added another layer of stress that I never knew was there and I can't un-know it.
                          Amazing what a difference that experience makes. Some people can put that out of their mind, but I'm like you in that I can't.

Comment

• VagabondMD
                            VagabondMD commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Same here.

Wouldn’t quit until/if I found something else I enjoyed where I felt useful & appreciated. Currently 19th year in Democratic EM group - I enjoy what I do & the team I work with.

Comment

I would keep working. But I'd probably cut back on higher risk patient's & problems. Especially if my worth was known. Walking target...

I love being & working as a doctor. Correctly diagnosing & carrying out an effective treatment plan is me winning.

I hate the administrative [insert multiple swear words here] work. So I'd try to figure a way to limit that stuff.

Comment

I'd give up admin and clinic. Do five to eight days a month of inpatient. Right now I still feel obliged to support my family and build on the legacy my parents left when they died - plus I get 8 weeks of PTO, and like the work a lot. All I really want us more PTO (like, thirty weeks a year) and fewer clinic inbasket messages.

Comment

Working...
                              X