Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving an LLC from one state to another

Hello

I moved recently to California and I have an LLC ( rental properties) with an address in the state I moved from.

1/ Do I need to register the LLC in California? What if the name is already taken in California?

2/ Can I use a Pobox as the official address for the company? Our post office gives you the option to make look the Pobox address as a real one. Can I use the pobox address as my official address (primary agent)?

Thank you

Doc

1. Yes, you will have to register in CA. I honestly don’t know what happens if the name is already taken. Why don’t you find out first?

2. I don’t know this, either. My understanding is that the business will have to have the ability for someone to sign for registered documents, which I doubt the PO has the can offer.

Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for medical professionals | 270-247-6087

Comment

I don't believe you need to register in california if you have no business activity in california. You can keep the llc outside and po box.outside then forward the mail to you in california.

Check with your accountant on this.

Fyi. Cali LLC has yearly 800$ fee just for the honor of being in cali.

Comment

Thank you. The LLC is for rental apartments located outside of California.

Comment

I'm not sure why you need to register the LLC in a state in which you don't do business. At least in Nebraska you can, and LLCs frequently use a PO box as a mailing address.

Comment

See California Franchise Tax Board, FTB 3556 LLC Memo and see the examples of "Doing Business in California" on pg 4 of 6.
            Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for medical professionals | 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post
              See California Franchise Tax Board, FTB 3556 LLC Memo and see the examples of "Doing Business in California" on pg 4 of 6.
              That's why you go to Las Vegas to make those phone calls and do the LLC's business there. Even better reasons to conduct business and write-offs there. California is fun to live, but really expensive to do ANY kind of business here.

Comment

Working...
              X